From:
Roger Bridgman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 09:54:10 +0100
>We have recently acquired a dictaphone made by the American Graphophone
>Company with the last patent date being December 31, 1907.  Along with
>the dictaphone there are eleven wax cylinders with recordings on them,
>dated 1915. I have contacted WRS here in Pittsburgh, and they are not
>equipped to work with this material.  I am also interested in having the
>recordings transferred on to new media during their first play.   Does
>anyone have any experience or advice concerning dictaphones and
>cylinders from this era?
>

>Gabrielle V. Michalek
>University Archivist
>Carnegie Mellon University
>Pittsburgh, PA 15221

If you want some advice from across the Atlantic, try calling the UK
National Sound Archive on +44 (0) 171 412 7000. I know they do a lot of
transfer work, and have transcribed and computer-enhanced an alleged
graphophone recording of Queen Victoria, so even if you can't get your
cylinders to them, they may be able to help you do a transfer yourself.

Roger Bridgman

Wellcome Wing Exhibition Development Team
Science Museum, London SW7 2DD, UK

Phone  +44 (0)171 938 8132
Fax    +44 (0)171 938 8079
Web    http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/