Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 22:24:47 -0400
>so why do we need this hand-written ledger?

I also keep a hand written ledger in addition to computer tracking.  I
could justify it with a couple of reasons: an easy place for the Curator
to look up recent acquisitions, or perhaps another way to backup
information - what if the computer crashed?  But the Curator could look up
stuff on the computer, which gets backed up on tape and diskettes.
The real reason: it makes registrars happy - carefully printing
information in a big heavy book symbolizes registration.  And since
registrars tend to fret, I say let 'em have this one little thrill.
Will Garrison
Collections Manager
Historic Deerfield