From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:10:30 -0500
At my last museum, front line staff wore logo clothing (usually shirts but
also sweaters and jackets) but were given the freedom to choose the style
of clothes, with in a defined range. The institution paid for the logo
clothes. Some people chose polo shirts, others chose button shirts w/
collars. They were given a defined number of pieces and allowed to keep
the clothing upon termination of employment.

Other staff received one piece/year or used department funds to purchase
clothing, depending on need. As I occasionally worked events, I received
at least one other piece/year and bought my staff clothing as required by
their jobs. I wanted my staff working where the public would see them, to
be identify-able.

Diane Gutenkauf

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:36:32 -0500, Kirstin Gamble <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We will be opening our new Whaling Museum in June.  We'd like our front-
line staff (interpretive, visitor services, museum shop, and maintenance
staff) to wear some sort of uniform so that visitors will be able to
easily identify them in our new - and much bigger - space.  We also
believe a professional, standard appearance will be a nice compliment to
our beautiful new building.

>In addition to daily programs, we will have a whole month of opening
events at which all staff (both front-line and administrative) will be
expected to help.  We also think the entire staff should have a consistent
appearance for these events.

>None of our staff have ever worn uniforms before.
>
>Have any of you had experience transitioning a staff who have never worn
uniforms to one required to wear uniforms?
>Have you had administrative staff wear some sort of uniform for special
events/celebrations? Were they the same uniforms used at your museum on a
daily basis?
>What sort of uniforms do staff wear at your museum? We are a resort
community so we are thinking polo shirts and khakis - but have heard some
women don't want to wear golf-style shirts - how do we make everyone happy?