From:
Roger Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 22:11:06 -0500
     Personally, I would not suggest people answer a disturbed individual's
post unless the person answering is a trained professional.  If you answer
the post and begin a correspondence with a disturbed individual you may be
drawn into his game and become a victim or an enabler.  It is extreemly
difficult even for a professional to help someone by e mail or phone because
you can not see their body language and they can hang up on you at any time
of their choosing.  You can not use your body language to communicate with
them and are stuck with just words.
     If you know a mental health practitioner in your area you might share
the post with them and let them decide whether or not to correspond with the
individual.  I am not sure, however, that just because someone corresponds in
a manner strange to the rest of us we can really control him or her.  We
usually try to place people in the least restrictive environmnet possible.
 If they are not a threat to themselves or others the law usually does not
allow for their confinement.  I guess the most most of us can do is to pray
for the individual.  We do not, at this time, know for certain that the
person is not receiving counseling from a professional and being helped where
they are either.
Roger