From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:43:59 -0400
On 8/9/05, Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On the other hand, the question doesn't come up much--because we're usually interpreting quickly (and mostly about practices and material culture) as people pass through our camp site (on their way to a couple of dozen similar camps from other eras).  But because it was so important and universal an experience for the medieval person, I'd love to figure out a way to impart that on the modern visitor.
>
> Maybe somebody's got some further suggestions?  That would be wonderful!

I don't know anything about Tilden (but this discussion thread has
peaked my interest!), but the first thing that comes to mind as a
parallel to the medieval church is the Taliban or a totalitarian
dictatorship like North Korea. Given the understanding the average
American has of world events, I don't think many people will remember
that Taliban in much detail or know that North Korea is a
dictatorship.

I think in your situation, it is best to step out of 1st person, at
least temporarily, and give an "introduction" of sorts to your camp
like the following (I don't know that much about the time period so
the facts might be off but you get the idea):

"Welcome to the 14th century. Of course, you don't know you live in
the 14th century because according to the Church, it is XXXX date in
the Year of Our Lord. Today is the Holy Feast Day of XXXX (if your
event is on a feast day or holy day, chances are it will be because
practically every other day was some type of feast day or holy day.)
We trust you will join us at mass later on. (If it's not a feast day,
you can use the next feast day and invite people to join you at church
then.) Does anyone here speak or read Latin? Don't worry, neither do
we. In fact, very few people here can read or write more than their
own names. Thankfully, we have the good mother church to tell us about
our good Lord and Savior in our own, vulgar language."

After the blurb, you can let people into your camp and switch to your
first person impressions. I've done timeline events and you're right,
you don't have time for the full emersion effect, but I think you can
get some general ideas across in the time you have.

Deb