Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 16:57:37 -0700
I have been asked by my university (University of Arizona) to explore
the possibility of using only volunteer guards in our exhibition space.
The pitfalls seem obvious:  volunteers can be unreliable, insurance
may not permit this, some museums may not loan works of art or rent
exhibitions to institutions with unpaid guards, etc.  But has anyone
had any experience with this?  Does any art museum (or other
museum with valuable objects on display) have volunteer guards?

I'd appreciate any comments or experiences.  Thanks.

Terry Pitts
Center for Creative Photography