From:
jackie venegas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:29:52 -0500
MEMORY TRAVELING EXHIBITION

From a demonstration of the firing of a single neuron in the brain to
recalling childhood memories to witnessing actual brain dissections, Memory,
a major new traveling exhibition developed by the Exploratorium, is now
available for rental through 2004.

There can be no doubt of the overwhelming importance of memory in our
individual lives.  We spend much of our waking lives remembering.  Our
ability to perform the simplest tasks relies on remembering what to do and
how to do it.  Our very sense of who we are rests largely in remembering
where we've been, whom we've known, what we've done, and how we've felt.
This exhibition explores these ideas and the equally important notion that
memory is constantly changing and reshaping the way we understand our world.
As we continually relive and reshape past experience, we also reshape the
ways in which we perceive and understand ourselves and the world around us.

The exhibition, made possible by the National Science Foundation and the Met
Life Foundation, is reflective of both personal experience and new
breakthroughs in cognitive science.  Over thirty-five hands on exhibits,
artworks, images, sounds, and even smells and tastes demonstrate and depict
the fascinating subject of human memory: its biological, psychological and
cultural dimensions.

In the exhibition, you can play Hoop Nightmares, a wacky basketball game that
temporarily alters your body's memory of how to throw a ball.  In Jukebox
Memories, you can find out which top tunes of the past forty years stir your
memories.  Test your memory for smells and tastes, spatial relationships, or
even the way things feel.  Find out why your memory can hold on to thousands
of facts, words, pictures, and even complicated arguments and explanations,
yet stumble over a simple name or phone number.  Learn why legal experts have
gotten more skeptical about eyewitness testimony, and why many psychologists
question "recovered" memories.  By experiencing the powers and limitations of
your own memory within the exhibition, your can begin to understand what
memory is and how it works.

For more information on availability and price, please contact Jackie Venegas
(415) 353-0445, [log in to unmask] or visit Memory on the web at
http://www.exploratorium.edu/exhibit_services (Look under traveling
exhibitions).
--
Jackie Venegas