From:
Margaret Bruener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:03:42 -0400
I think these are all great points.  First, try to volunteer or intern at an institution you would like to work out.  Most likely, you will see internal postings before they are even made public.  If you post your resume, and mention you are willing to intern/volunteer as well, I agree with Trevor that this shows you are willing to make sacrifices for their institution, and learn as much as you can.

Trevor, I appreciate the fact, though, that you at least forward relevant information on open positions.  I think the "traditional" means of applying is still the best!

Meg Bruener

>>> Trevor Reynolds <[log in to unmask]> 06/30/99 11:37AM >>>
If I see a resume/CV posted on this list then, unless there is actually a vacancy being advertised in my organisation at the time, the E-mail will just be deleted.  Even if there is a current vacancy I would not consider anyone on the basis of the E-mail, I would let them know about the vacancy and expect them to apply in the normal way (i.e. application form, & why they think they can do that actual job).

The same is true of CVs/Resumes which are sent in by the regular mail.  Although these will get a reply saying in which publications we advertise our vacancies.

By the way we have a two stage process, the first stage considers anyone already working for us who wants to apply for the job (this allows career development within the organisation).  Only if no one is successful at that stage do we advertise our vacancies so all our advertised vacancies are genuine.

What do get considered are CVs/Resumes which are accompanied by offers to do voluntary work  and which show that the writer knows a bit about us.

I think that this is largely true of most National and Local Government funded museums in the UK.

It is volunteer work which can really give you an edge in the UK.  Firstly it shows commitment to museums, six month voluntary work looks better than six months unemployed, it even looks better than six months working outside the sector.  If you need an income while looking for work (most of us do) see if you can manage to work part time & volunteer part time.  Even while you are at college/school try to get some volunteer time in.  Experience really does make a difference when applying for jobs.   Most importantly if a vacancy arises at the place where you are volunteering you have a head start over other applicants, you know the collections and the way the institution works.

Trevor Reynolds     ([log in to unmask])
Registrar, English Heritage, 4CS, 23 Savile Row, London, United Kingdom, W1X 1AB
tel +44 (0) 171 973 3482 (GTN 3503 3483) fax +44 (0) 171 973 3534 (GTN 3503 3534)

This e-mail is intended solely for the above-mentioned recipient
and it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
have received it in error, please notify us immediately and delete
the e-mail. You must not copy, distribute, disclose or take any
action in reliance on it.

English Heritage
Telephone 0171 973 3000
Facsimile 0171 973 3430