From:
"Marietta, Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:07:59 -0400
	I know that many have already responded, however, since 90 % of
my job entails dealing with managing interns, I thought I'd chime in.
It is so important to have open and honest communication with students
from the beginning through the end of the internship.  State as much as
you can, in advance, about what you expect of the student and what
he/she may be doing.  A journal or weekly professional report is a great
communication tool and helps the student hone writing skills.  Our
interns at the Hall of Fame (we have about 30 a year, each for 10 weeks)
create an Intern Development Plan, a one page statement discussing what
the intern wants to learn and how it relates to the mission of the
organization.  This helps students realize that while photocopying or
doing inventories may not be glamorous, they are necessary to the
institution.  Managers sign off on the plan as do the students.  If the
internship is going off track, it's nice to be able to reflect on the
original agreement.  As I mentioned, interns follow up with a weekly one
page report that covers what the intern has learned and done for the
week.  This allows them to reflect on their professional growth and also
to reflect on the profession.  Sometimes, managers will propose a
professional question that the intern must respond about in the weekly
report.
	What we've seen here is that graduate level students do want
specific projects that relate directly to a certain interest, while
undergrads are looking for more general work experience.
	We've had some really fulfilling internships at the HOF and I
speak personally, as I was an intern here first before I was hired
full-time.
	And lastly, money really helps, particularly for full-time
internships, but the experience and reference is usually what the
student wants the most.

Melissa Marietta
National Baseball Hall of Fame
Manager of the Frank and Peggy Steele Internship Program