From:
Rich Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 22:35:00 PST
Eric:  Your comments are editorializing while mine are described as a rush
to judgement?  So be it.

With regard to anyone being dismissed over the Enola Gay issue, I take the
calls for someone's head to roll with a grain of salt. Unless it actually
happens, should too. Like you, I hope it doesn't.  That kind of punitive
action should not flow from an *honest* battle of ideas.  However, in the
process of pursuing an idea, if serious errors in judgement are made by an
organization, some lessening of the decision-maker's authority is common and
often expected.  Agreed?  If so, is there anything that insulates a museum
curator from this kind of personnel action?  I don't think so.  If there is,
I strongly suggest we remove the protective coating. Such armor is equally
dangerous in an *honest* battle of ideas.

As for questioning the wisdom of dropping the bomb, I have, many times, and
I come to the same conclusion...in 1945 there seemed to be no satisfactory
alternative to using it.  What's more, I believe the two Bombs dropped in
'45 kept others from being dropped in later years.  Like you, I find nothing
wrong with questioning the decisions made in the 1940's. But there's plenty
wrong plenty wrong when we are beguiled by what we *think* we know thanks to
the vision of hindsight.  At this point I am reminded of the difference
between knowledge and wisdom.  The former is defined as knowing what you
know.  The latter is knowing what you don't know.

Lastly, let's not bring the red herring of politics into this issue.  Sure
they're at play here.  But before you can reach a healthy discussion about
federally funded cultural treasures, "national" whatevers and government
institutions you first have to deal with the business of the museum business.
To what extent would you allow your institution to be hurt for the sake of
expressing an idea that a *huge* number of people find detestable?  Do you
think it's an astute move to sully the memory of deeds and people during a
time when such things are be favorably remembered and commemorated by a
nation?  Before you answer these questions remember:  Know your audience;
protect the cash cow; the customer's always right, even when they're wrong;
location! location! location!; and it's the timing, *silly*! There, that
ought to do it.
Business management 101.  It applies to museums, too.  Like it or not.

>          Rich, pardon my editorializing about those wishing to have
>          the Director of the Air and Space Museum canned for his
>          approach to displaying the Enola Gay. It's strictly a
>          personal reaction: I mean, ask yourself, can anybody with
>          any sense of historical curiosity look at the Enola Gay
>          without *questioning* the wisdom of dropping the bomb(s) on
>          Japan?  Is it inappropriate that this self-evident question
>          be acknowledged in the exhibit?
>
>          I'm kind of amazed at your rush to judgement that those
>          responsible for raising these issues should be "replaced."
>          If there is any meaning to the idea of freedom of
>          expression, here is where it would seem to come into play.
>          And, yes, I know it is a federally subsidized, national
>          museum, etc, etc. Well, I'm here to say that at least one
>          portion of this population (me) *welcomes* critical
>          discussions in our government institutions.
>
>          Eric

Rich Jones                              Governing Board For:
Development Director                    Carter House Natural Science Museum
Shasta Natural Science Association      Redding Arboretum By The River
[log in to unmask]              SNSA Environmental Resources Center