From:
Die Valkure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 00:47:41 -0800
Hi all, as a student currently obtaining my advanced degree, I have been
watching the advanced degrees string with some interest, and I have been
finally motivated to throw in my two cents.  My point is simple: Times have
changed.  20 years ago I think someone who emerged from the higher
education system with only a B.A. was better prepared for a career.  In
some ways, esp. in the business school or computer science, this is still
the case.  However, things have changed a bit in other ways.  I have a B.A.
in history with a concentration in classical civ.  All of that stuff about
a well-rounded, liberal-arts education preparing you for a variety of
careers aside, I was in no way prepared to do what I wanted to do, namely
work in a museum, without a professional (advanced) degree.  I spent my
undergrad years taking classes all over campus and really taking some time
to investigate my interests.  Someone pointed out that undergrads make
fabulous interns... well, they do.  I worked in my first museum job as an
undergrad and I know from my rec letters that they thought I did a good
job, but they weren't prepared to hire me.  Those of us who emerge with
undergrad degrees in liberal arts, or even a focused studio arts degree
really need to go pursue a professional degree to really focus our
education so we are more fully qualified to pursue our passions.  (becuase
face it, you shouldnt be going into the arts for money, but that's another
2 cents)

That being said, I would also advocate advanced degree programs because,
when structured well, they can provide limitless opportunities for
experiential learning that I dont think can be found with equivalent ease
in the undergraduate setting.  I myself have worked extensively with the
UOregon Museum of Art in registration.  I have also put in time at the
UOregon Museum of Nat. History.  In the spring I have plans to augment my
knowledge about bedgets and financial planning with practica with
developments offices in local non-profit organizations.  In addition to
that, I am volunteering as archivist at the Hallie Ford M.A. at Willamette
Univerisity.  (AND writing my thesis, thank you) These experiential
learning opportunities are invaluable, and the graduate level is the best
forum for them becuase the ability to immediately apply recently learned
knowledge with sometimes result in a finer understanding of the processes
involved.  With just a little diligence, no grad student will emerge
over-educated and under-experienced.  I know I won't.

So maybe, just maybe, when employers today are using an advanced degree as
a cutoff tool, it doesnt mean that they are looking just for a bunch of
education, but rather for this unique mix of education and hands-on
experience that those vetrans of the advanced degree system have had access
too.

Them's my cents :)

Vanessa

Vanessa L. Ward
Laurel Intern
The University of Oregon Museum of Art (UOMA)
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~valkyri