From:
Christina Myatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:19:48 -0500
Steven,

I have seen this happen as well in other museums and my own.  I think
it is sad that we forget that we are there to "serve" the people that
enter our doors.  If they fail to come to the museum, we have no jobs.
Screaming children, wealthy, poor, ignorant, scholar, blind, lame, or
rude, we msut take into account that this is who puts dinner on our
tables.

Yes, we must protect what is inside our museum.  But, we must also find
ways to make museums accessible to all people and all walks of life.  A
beautiful building filled with marvelous treasures but no one to see
them is a waste.

I know that one of our personla challenges is very little seating.  We
have grown to twice our original size in the past two years.  The
changes require a lot more walking and the elevator system is
challenging to say the least.  many of our visitors don't want to be
offered a wheelchair or informed about the elevators.  They want to be
able to sit down if necessary.

I believe that this list is very important to answering some of these
questions.  I think we should have the right to debate behaviors in our
museums.  Serving our visitors is more than displaying artwork,
artifacts and specimens.  If we can't talk openly about these issues,
then we are forgetting our missions entirely!

Christina
Christina M. Myatt
Theatrical Programming Coordinator
Putnam Museum