From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:48:43 -0600
Indigo,
What a nice service you are providing.
My first response, as with everyone else's, I suspect, is AAM.  I know that
the information I have gained from membership has been invaluable.  Also,
compared other prof org I joined when making a living in other fields, it is
fairly inexpensive. (Of course, I make less money, so I guess it is
relative.)
As for less obvious answers, any museum org that is region specific for the
area of the country the individual is living or wants to live.  This is
invaluable for the professional networking on a "local" basis.  He/She
should especially attend all regional conferences and any classes offered,
if at all possible.
Then there are the professional standing committees of AAM.  For example, I
joined NAME because it is the primary area of museum work that interests me
and, more importantly, the NAME journal "Exhibitionist"  is edited by my
graduate advisor.  That way I can keep up with what else he is doing /
saying in the field besides just class assignments, etc.
Finally, depending on the discipline of the individual's work, any
professional organizations related to that, such as AYM,  or organizations
not dealing with museums but dealing with specific humanities or scientific
disciplines: anthropology / archeology, biology, etc.
Hope this helps.
Lori Allen,
Grad Student, UMSL