From:
Art Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:00:59 -0600
A few points.

I have no philosophical problem with a museum of creationism--such a
museum has as great a right to exist as any other; that being said, I
have a great problem with a museum of creationism that pretends that
it's consistent with science. This is a general statement; I haven't
looked closely enough at the museum in question to know how much this is
a problem with it. The presentation of humans and dinosaurs together,
however, certainly is purely religious; all the scientific evidence
clearly shows a long time gap between the extinction of (non-avian)
dinosaurs and the earliest hominins.

Faith is involved in religion and in science, but the faith is very
different between the two. In religion, as professed by biblical
literalists, faith in revelation trumps everything else; in science,
faith in observation, logic, and testing against the material universe
trumps revelation. In believers in inerrant scripture, evidence is
tested against the scripture; in science, against observations of the
universe of matter and energy.

Keep in mind that "theory" in religion and in science are two very
different things. Theory in science (when used in its full sense rather
than the rather common idea that a theory is just a wild guess) is an
extensively tested, important explanation of phenomena that agrees with
known facts (observations) better than any other scientific explanation
advanced. Well known theories include the Copernican theory that the
earth revolves around the sun rather than vice versa, the atomic theory,
plate tectonics, and of course, evolution. All of these have an immense
amount of evidence for them and have been extensively tested.

Many people are upset by creationism (in the sense of Young Earth
Creationists, Intelligent Design Creationists, etc.) because of the
Radical Religious Right's continuing attempt to have their particular
religious beliefs taught in science classes in public schools.

No personal affront meant, John, but in your series of submissions, you
clearly demonstrate that you don't have the slightest understanding of
evolutionary theory. Please take the time and effort to understand it
rather than flail at a straw man.

Cheers,

Art Harris

--
Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0915