From:
Tod Engine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 06:05:08 GMT
<<At first, the center wanted the museum educators to provide a program at
the center rather than the museum.  They eventually figured out, however,
that it works better off-site.  In the words of the educator, it comes as
a surprise to them to feel welcome in a place they didn't expect to be.
He also said that, basically, there needs to be some counterpoint to what
is, at the moment anyway, a fairly grim time for them, and bringing them
to the museum is better than segregating them entirely in the center.  And
also, that the art course gives them new tools for perceiving the world
around them, which, obviously, changes their "outlook" -- literally.>>

This is a wonderful idea. In our community we are proposing to build an
industrial heritage museum.  The jobless and homeless rate is fairly high,
and perhaps instituting a program where some of these people could do
volunteer work could help us get work done and also give these people
exposure to our history.  Possibly even teach a skill that could be used
in the workplace.

Hmmm...

Rick