From:
Linda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 15:25:31 +1000
Just to carry forward a little Ed Pershey's discussion of the meaning of a
'history centre': it is unfortunate but horribly true that the name
'museum' is a big turnoff to lots of people.  I regret this very much,
having great love and respect for museums and the stuff that's
traditionally inside them.

However, if research like Nick Merriman's in the UK holds true elswhere in
the English-speaking world, then about half the population feels actively
uncomfortable about going to A Museum.  It is (literally) not their scene.

If a calling a rose by any other name, or calling a museum a history (or
heritage) centre, makes the place less off-putting to lots of potential
visitors, then I guess I'm prepared to rename roses and museums.

Has anyone got experience or evaluation figures regarding such a re-naming?

LInda Young
Cultural Heritage Management
University of Canberra