From:
Catherine Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:31:24 -0400
Greetings from "BackStory with the American History Guys," an American
History radio show based at the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
and hosted by historians Ed Ayers, Brian Balogh, and Peter Onuf
(www.backstoryradio.org). I'm writing to alert Museum-L subscribers
about an upcoming show: "Tolerance: A History of Drink," and also to
seek your participation. Here is the blurb for the show:

"Anyone who’s glanced at a tabloid, sorted wedding photos or attended a
frat party knows that modern Americans have a tendency to tip the
bottle. But by history’s standards, we’re teetotalers. In the early
1800s, the average adult male consumed the equivalent of six shots of
whiskey per /day/. Even children imbibed! But that doesn’t mean alcohol
has brought us together — to the contrary, it has reinforced ugly power
structures, in the domestic sphere as well as the global one. How did
alcohol become a state-regulated moral issue, rather than simply an
economic one? When did we start seeing over-consumption as a disease?
Have we grown more tolerant, or less so, over the course of our history?"

We're looking for callers who want to talk with the History Guys about
this subject on the air--share a story, ask a question, etc. If you are
interested in participating and sharing your thoughts with with us and
our listeners, email me ASAP (by tomorrow afternoon 7/30 at the
[log in to unmask]) so I can give you more details and we can
set up a time for the call, which takes about eight minutes. And please
forward this widely if you know of others who might be interested.

Thanks for all your help,

--
Catherine Moore
Research Assistant