From:
Lucy Alcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:35:33 +1200
Relax,   I'm not 'way hip' - I live at the bottom of the world in a city of only 150,000 - or 300,000 if you include the region!  (Remember this list goes a little wider than the old US of A.).

Wellington, NZ,  hardly has a direct line to what is described as "the New York art elite"  yet I enjoy Robbin's postings, and find that they are not as incomprehensible as some would have us believe!   Just because there's a strange word, perhaps hinting at a concept that one is not quite sure about, and so not quite comfortable with, there's no need to go into a kind of anxiety mode!  It's really not that threatening!

Please keep posting Robbin!

Cheers,  Lucy Alcock   [log in to unmask]

Ministry of Cultural Affairs, PO Box 5364, Wellington, New Zealand.

On Thursday 12 Sept. Diane Gutenkauf wrote:

----------
Janis is right. Buzzwords that mean something to the New York art elite mean
nothing to most of the rest of the country and most of the rest of the country
could care less.  Robbin appears to think that all "museum directors" are
working for art museums or have art backgrounds.  I think that history museum
jargon would mean about as much to the art museum patron as art jargon means to
the local audience for whom I write.

OK, Murph, you're way hip. Just don't jump on those of us who cared enough about
what you wrote to seek clarification.

Robbin Murphy wrote (in response to Janis Beth Wilkens)

Janis Beth Wilkens wrote:
>  I just don't think folks in South Carolina (and probably a lot of other
places) are going to be attracted by >the latest New York art-world buzzwords!
If we can't describe our presentations in language the
>majority can understand, we will only enhance our "elitist" image.
>
>There are times and places where specialized language is appropriate.  Unless
aiming at a
>special audience, a museum production is just not one of them.

Gutenkauf