From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:18:55 -0700
Hello Renee,

Here's my take on your multifaceted question:

        Because the pace of cultural change has increased tenfold thanks to
our "global village," international media complex, and technology (satellite
television, the Internet, etc.), everything depends upon the type of museum
. . .

Explanation of my take:

        Surely, this sounds like a "cop out"; but as you ask about keeping
up with culture, you must first define culture.  So, contemporary culture is
ever-changing.

        Further, in my humble opinion, generation shifts have sped up.  Just
as some historians used to define a "generation" in 20-year spans, then
stretched the definition to 25 years, now I see generations back to 20 years
or so.  Life has sped up - at least in the so-called "First World" nations.

        How does this impact museums?  A museum with a permanent collection
can try to stay constantly up-to-date on exhibition and educational methods.
This would be to reinterpret the subject in new ways depending upon the
latest news and research and/or a new generation shift.  The museum's
ability to do so will depend greatly upon funding.  How much money can they
devote to keep restructuring and reworking their displays on an annual
basis, or perhaps a three- or five-year cycle?  If a museum if flush, has
plenty of funds from public or private sources, they may be able to redo
exhibits over again and again.  There is a paradox: Larger museums that
attract the most dollars often have the largest collections to exhibit and
interpret for the public.  Smaller museums often don't have the staffing,
funding or audience to justify change on a regular basis.

Surely, this response will draw out commentary from others.  I look forward
to fruitful discussion.

Best wishes one and all, sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Curator of Education
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art
Utah State University
4020 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT     84322-4020
T 435.797.0165
F 435.797.3423

Education costs money, but then so does ignorance.
Sir Charles Moser, b. 1922