From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:59:08 -0800
On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, J./B. Moore wrote:

> We are investigating getting accredited by both the AAM and the NASAD, for
> various sections of our operations.  Our board thinks it would be a
> wonderful thing for getting additional grants, etc., but exactly how much
> does accreditation matter for getting grants?

I know of one grantmaking organization that specifically asks about
accreditation. They require a copy of the most recent accreditation
report and an update on progress towards addressing any major concerns.
If not accredited, they want to know "the background for the
organization's decision not to seek accreditation (if offered in your
field) or schedule of future plans to seek it." The vast majority of all
museums funded by this foundation were accredited. Of those that were
not, only one was not actively pursuing accreditation; and they all had
good justifications for their status.

One thing you might consider is the response of your board to the idea of
accreditation. Hopefully, your board members are also some of
your funders. If they consider it beneficial, it probably is.

We are currently in the process of planning for accreditation. Since we
are in the midst of a capital campaign and will be opening a new facility
in 1998, we are not quite ready yet. Having carefully considered the
process of self-examination required, I truly believe (i.e., this is my
personal opinion and not that of my employer - just like everything else
in this post) that the "trouble" involved can only make our organization
stronger. This, in itself, will make it easier to "sell" The Tech and
its educational program to funders.

As chair of our Accreditation Planning Committee, I am very interested in
learning more about the process and other institutions' experiences.
Please feel free to contact me on or off list. Thank you.

Susan Wageman
Grants Manager                    [log in to unmask]
The Tech Museum of Innovation     (408) 279-7178
145 West San Carlos Street        fax (408) 279-7149
San Jose, CA  95113  USA          http://www.thetech.org