From:
Sharon Koomler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 20:22:27 CDT
Jenni Rodda <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I have watched this thread of discussion with interest,
>because it is pertinent to many of us who work in
>museums, academia, or other non-profit situations.

There is little satisfaction in knowing that fellow museum
professionals and acdemics are feeling the same monetary squeeze that
I do.  ANd it is even harder for me to know that our boards calmly
overlook the fact that we earn so little, while at the same tim emany
of them are attorneys, bankers, and have good benefits, retirement,
etx.

Well, I was nearing the end of my rope, and realized that no one is
responsible for my salary cap but myself.  I gave my board and
director enough credit for realizing how valuable I was to the museum,
and enlisted their support to let me write grants for additonal money
to support my salary.  This year, that means I am doing a two week
residency in an elementary scho0ol which will boost my income $1000.
I am marketing my expertise to other museums (with money!) and being
well paid to support their exhibits with programming.  I will travel to at
least three museums this year to do this...and will also teach a
gifted/talented class at the local university...  and all of this will
allow me to quit the second job I have held for 2 1/2 years on top of
the 50-60 hours I put in for my museum job, which I love.

Long story short, is that I think museum professionals (especially
educators) have an idea opportunity to earn and learn and build that
resume!  Good luck to all of us.

Sharon Duane Koomler
Director of Education
Shaker Museum at South Union, KY
(502) 542-7734
e-mail [log in to unmask]

"The attainments of tomorrow are dependent on the efforts of today,
and are related to them as the blossom is to the bud,
and the fruit to the blossom."

                                  Eldress Catherine Allen, Mt. Lebanon