From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:36:45 -0400
I think that there is a huge distiniction that is made between
archaeological artifacts and those that are either on the open market
or in musuems that have been treated as "art" and disassociated from
their provenances.

All of the archaeologists that I have known basically consider a
disassociated object worthless, because it's context as datum is ruined
as far as being in association within a strata and with other
artifacts, soil layers, etc.

Pot-hunting and the legalities of ownership are prime issues, but also
it is the loss of association of an individual artifact or group of
artifacts that is equally important to archaeologists.

When I was doing aracheological conservation I did demonstrate through
researching a extremely well=preserved 18th century artifact that was
excavated from a disturbed layer from the ground, that such an object
did have significant research value - maybe not strictly archaeological
but due to the state of preservation it was an invaluble look at
literally a brand new original surface that does not exist on objects
in deocrative arts collections that have undergone use and wear.

So, I personally, as an objects conservator who is senstivie to
material culture and social history issues, feel that no object is ever
totally "worthless".

Also, not every object in a history collection has a great provenance.
I remember seeing many that were acquired because they were known types
and could help flesh out an interior or add a type into the collection
that was not there before.

I rather think that it is the legalities of ownership that are more
point on. I remember hearing a presentation at a conference some years
ago, that legally, a conservator or other person, who undertook any
sort of work on an object or artifact that did not have a clearly
demonstrated legal ownership, made you as potentially criminally liable
in trafficing in stolen goods as the person who may have stolen it,
whether you were aware of it's being stolen or not. This was presented
in the context of archaeology and antiquities, of course, but is
equally valid in fine and decorative arts as well.

It's a complex issue that many of us deal with at one time or another.
I rather think it's best that if anything is at all suspect or murky
that you just pass on it and not step into a potential pile of trouble.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator