From:
"m. white" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:37:45 -0500
I hope that the Museum-L community can help me with this research question
for my dissertation. I am working on a dissertation about the virtual
museum in the Art History department at the Graduate School and University
Center of the City University of New York.

I am seeking information about the contestation over the name "Louvre." In
1994 the Louvre in Paris questioned Nicolas Pioch's right to call his
on-line museum the Louvre. Pioch changed the name of his museum to
WebLouvre and then WebMuseum under pressure from the Paris institution.

I am trying to determine if this case was settled privately or if the
courts made a decision about who had the right to use the name Louvre. I
would appreciate any citations, journal articles, newspapers, archival
material, or anecdotal discussions, that deals with these legal and
intellectual issues. I would also appreciate information about any work
that considers Nicolas Pioch's Louvre/WebMuseum or the "real" Louvre's web
site. Are there any works that comprehensively examine the early history
of web museums?

Please feel free to contact me off list.

Thank You,
Michele White