From:
Sylvia Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 08:47:18 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> How have others dealt with deaccessioning objects and/or library materials
> found in collections that don't have an accession number or a signed deed?
> Essentially, the museum can not prove legal title to the object, so how
> does one deaccession it? We have read Malero's books and made other
> inquries. I thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this
> problem. Thanks.
>
> Mary Ames Sheret
> Southern Oregon Historical Society

Oregon does have Old Loans Legislation that may be helpful to you in
providing guidelines for handling this type of material.  I have a copy
of the legislation from when I worked on the MAAM Old Loans Task Force.
 I would be happy to make a xerox copy and send it to you.  Please
e-mail me your mailing address at [log in to unmask] and I will
get it in the mail to you.

Good luck with this tricky issue and let me know if you need any
additional general information on Old Loans, I would be happy to provide
it.

Sylvia S. Duggan
Assistant Registrar, Loans
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anhthropology