From:
David Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:21:48 -0400
Hi Kate,
One thing you may need to consider is "dumpster diving."  We are in an
urban setting and have people going through our dumpster trash pretty
regularly.  If we approve of disposal of a deaccessioned object through
destruction- we certainly don't want someone fishing it out of the trash
for their own use.  Nor would we want the publicity resulting from some
citizen going to the media with an account of museum employees throwing
out artifacts in the trash.
When we have been faced with this situation, we photographically document
the object(s), break it into unusable pieces and personally haul it to a
landfill that prohibits scavenging.  We write an account of this process
and file it in the deaccessioned object(s) accession file.  Hope this
helps.
Sincerely,
David Ryan
Registrar