From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:17:33 -0700
At 10:16 AM 6/16/98 -0500, Mary Haegele wrote:
>what have any of you
>given as items of recognition for your volunteers?

We recognized volunteer hours on our volunteers' name badges (100, 250,
500, 1000, 2000, etc.) year round. At our annual volunteer recognition
dinner, we present certificates to volunteers that have provided special
above-and-beyond the call of duty service. We also present scholarships to
several graduating seniors who have been exemplary. We started small, with
just four $100 scholarships. Thanks to a grant we were able to increase the
scholarships to $1000 this year.

We also have lots of doorprizes. Some of the things we've given away
include corporate logo item and certificates (books, music, restaurant,
movies). Local businesses are likely to be happy to support your
volunteers. We usually have some Tech giveaway for everyone as well, such
as T-shirts, mugs, etc.

>And what would make for an interesting evening for these
>folks?

Why don't you ask them what they would like? Our volunteers are invited to
bring their families. The recognition event becomes a time for them to show
off the museum. We don't really have entertainment, except for the
thankyou/awards program. We have a committee of volunteers who plan the
program along with our volunteer manager.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Grants and Research Manager                  (408) 279-7178
The Tech Museum of Innovation                (408) 918-0253 fax
145 West San Carlos Street                    [log in to unmask]
San Jose, California  95113                   http://www.thetech.org