From:
Alison Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:19:29 -0400
Hello all,

I'm in the Master of Museum Studies programme at the University of
Toronto in Toronto, Canada, and am working on a research paper
discussing marketing tactics used by museums. Part of my research is
meant to take place through discussions with museum staff/people
around the world, so I'm hoping this listserv will be a good start.
I'm looking for input and comments/thoughts on the issue from as many
people as possible, so please contribute! If you would prefer to
contribute your comments outside the listserv, please email me directly.

I'm interested in the advertisements and promotions used by
large-scale museums, including the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto,
the Imperial War Museum in London, and the Victoria and Albert in
London. These institutions have all recently used ads which are highly
commercial and only minimally reference actual objects used in the
museum space, or their curatorial contexts. To what extent is
collaboration between marketing and curatorial staff necessary?

In addition, it's becoming clear that museum marketing campaigns are
changing to reflect other consumer-driven product promotions. Take a
look at the following campaigns:

ROM "Dinos Are Back!" campaign:
http://www.rom.on.ca/dinos/

V&A Children's Museum ads:
http://www.museumbrandingblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/he20man.jpg

Imperial War Museum "Weapons of Mass Communication" tube campaign:
http://www.utalkmarketing.com/UTMImages/Old/633264886417208750.jpg

Also - what types of promotion and marketing have your respective
institutions been involved in? What staff are involved in the decision
making process?

N.B. These comments will be used for a short research paper, not for
publication.

I'm looking forward to your responses!

Sincerely,

Alison Little