From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:11:00 -0400
Mapping programs usually allow tracking by zip codes. An example is ATLAS,
to which I believe the entire Statistics Canada database is now linked,
providing a formidable tool for analysis by geographical areas. In Canada,
the postal codes can indicate very small geographic zones; in urban areas,
for example, each side of each block has a unique postal code! My own code
K2L 1H1 is shared by only 6 houses. This permits very fine segmentation of
data in terms of geographical distribution. Using the StatsCan database, you
can then link data from visitor studies to things such as family income,
educational level, languages spoken, etc., etc., down to the number of TV
sets in the home! You can see the possibilities for visitor data analysis -
and market research! ATLAS has templates for zip codes, as do other mapping
programs. Have fun. You are about to enter a whole new world of visitor
research.