From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:20:10 -0400
I'm curious to see the responses to this.

Are there people for whom a Segway increases accessibility?  I would
think that the skills and strengths needed to stand upright and direct a
Segway are the same as those needed to walk (core strength, flexibility,
etc) In other words - a wheelchair is an accessibility tool, a Segway is
a - what?

I think there is a huge difference between a Segway and a motorized
wheel chair. Wheelchairs don't usually tip over and dump out their
passengers. And - although this would be hard to qualify - most
motorized wheel chair users are very experienced in operating their
vehicles - they have to be, they use them all the time for their basic
transportation needs.  My impression of Segway users is that of a
leisure user.

Will the site be required to allow those motorized Razor scooters in the
house museum?

Cindy Boyer
Director of Museums and Education
The Landmark Society of Western New York
Rochester, NY
(585) 546-7029 x12

www.landmarksociety.org

The Landmark Society of Western New York
1937-2007  - Serving for 70 years!

Our mission is to discover, protect, and revitalize
the architectural and related cultural heritage
of the Rochester region, and to educate and
inform our community about that heritage.