From:
Simon Caslaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:38:27 +0000
Michael
When I arrived at The Natural History Museum, London, I had no museum
experience. I work for the exhibition department and had
architectural and exhibition modelmaking and exhibition construction
and installation experience.

I got some of this experience working on 'a community programme' an
excellent scheme we had in the UK in the early eighties. After
leaving collage if you were still unemployed after six months, as
most of us were, you became eligible for part time work for a
contract of one year. This was low paid part time work, but it
brought in more than the dole/welfare and provided very good 'on the
job' experience. Many charities and community groups used this as an
opportunity to develop their visitor centers and exhibitions. I
worked for two such schemes, until finding full time work as an
architectural modelmaker then exhibition officer at the NHM.

So you could do it once upon a time.

I do not know what else I could have done with a BA in ceramics.
Simon

--
Simon Caslaw
Exhibition officer