From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:53:33 -0700
Karen,

It all depends on the size of your photography space and also on the
sort of objects and artifacts and artworks that you may have a need to
photograph. If you have a staff photographer they usually have very
strong preferences. It also depends if you need reference photographs
for the files or if you need a more professional set-up for exhibition
catalogs and publications.

In general the larger and taller the object the larger the space - and
you can also multiply the backing material and it also effect the
amount of light coverage you'll need.

In my work as a conservator I do a huge range of photodocumentation
from microscope photography, to small objects, to sculptures, to
architecture.

I personally dislike hot lights because they are bulky, they suck
power and trip breakers, and they get hot enough to soften and weaken
adhesives in mended ceramics and objects if left on long enough.

In the past year I have been experiementing with a strobe / slave
system (the slave is a small device that attaches to the hot shoe of
the camera that allows you to active the strobe - thus making it a
cable free operation). I have found by experimenting with distance and
angle of the strobe head that I can create strong direct light or a
very diffuse soft light by just bouncing it off a nearby ceiling or a
white board. You can also buy a soft box that attaches to the front of
the strobe head that will effectively do the same thing. You have to
also experiment with exposure and white balance, etc. to get your
system tuned in. But I have had spectacular results. I also like the
strobe because I can use it either in the studio or take it with me
into the field. My specific unit requires a power cord but you can
also buy units that can be totally portable and fire on batteries.

I submitted a powerpoint on just this topic to the tips session of the
Objects Specialty Group of the AIC this past June.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator