From:
Fredric Raab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 1994 12:38:08 EDT
I've created several interactive theaters using both custom and off-the-shelf
keypads. Most recently, I installed theaters at three Tennessee Valley
Authority visitor centers. The video presentation is your basic public
opinion poll on energy issues. (The centers are located at TVA nuclear power
plants.)  The on-screen host presents a question to the audience and solicits
their response. Another video monitor displays the polling tabulations. The
host's reply is based on the polling results. An appropriate video segment is
shown, followed by another series of questions. The entire presentation lasts
12 minutes.

The theaters used 32 Gentech keypads connected to a single Macintosh. I
developed code enabling the keypads to be used with MacroMind Director.
Director controls the videodisc and displays the polling results. A
Truevision NuVista card provides the video overlay.

Gentech's address is 1101 North Fulton Avenue, Evansville, IN 47710 (812)
423-4200..  They have several software packages (PC-based) you might find
useful - visitor surveys, game shows, etc.

I've also used keypads from Reactive Systems (222 Cedar Lane, Teaneck, NJ
07666 (201) 907-0100). Reactive Systems code is written for PC's. I wrote a
Macintosh driver, if you should need one.

Last year I evaluated a wireless keypad from Fleetwood (PO Box 1259, Holland,
MI 49422 (800) 257-6390). Very slick. And they make a great visitor
"take-away". If you use them, install an anti-shoplifting alarm system at the
entrance and exit doors.

Fredric J. Raab
Interactive Media Designer/Producer