From:
George Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 20:55:25 -0500
I think we need more information here.  If what is said below is true, then
teachers should be able to make virtually unlimited copies of computer
software for educational use.  They should be able to buy one copy of a
computer program and put it on 30 computers in the same classroom.  Can
they???  Is that FAIR USE???  Doesn't sound fair to me...  Isn't that why
some software companies sell multiple copies at greatly reduced rates?

Concerning printed work:  what about a teacher buying one copy of a workbook
and copying one page a day and handing it out to her 30 students, thus
depriving the author of the sale of 30 workbooks.  Fair use?  Or, worse yet,
taking the examination copy furnished free by the publisher and making 30
copies.  Fair use?

I know the law is vague, and as a practical matter no company is likely to
challenge an individual teacher for xeroxing a workbook.  Maybe that is the
bottom line...

george