Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:35:43 +0000
Thanks for posting this interesting link, Linda. But I don't think the guy visiting all the museums in Connecticut is really an ordinary visitor. My experience is that most people visit old houses because they have an interest in old furniture, architecture, genealogy, and/or local history. They like "old stuff," and they enjoy hearing stories about people from the past. This guy admits most of that bores him.

What makes historic house tours not boring? Guides with a talent for telling a story and connecting with visitors; in-depth research to provide interesting and meaningful details about the time and place interpreted; and moving above the level of a one-size-fits-all approach to giving tours to specialization by audience type. For me, the interpreter is the key. A great house with an interesting collection can still be boring if the guide lacks knowledge or can't relate to visitors and give each group a personalized experience.

In my former job we kept a guest book for visitor comments. Many raved about the house or the gardens, but more wrote praise and thank-yous to the guides who gave their tours.

Elizabeth
ex-historic house manager, but still interested

From: Linda Norris <[log in to unmask]>