From:
Holly Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:10:23 -0500
Greetings everyone,

Please excuse me for asking such a simple question on the Museum-L but I
have searched the archives of Museum-L as well as some books and still
haven't found specific direction.

I have been trying to find specific answers to what is the proper amount of
lighting for oil paintings. I am a registrar working with our lighting
staff to determine what is the proper foot candles for our permanent
exhibit and unfortunately have no in-house conservator to advise us. The
exhibit is lit by both halogen and incandescent lights and the works range
from oils on canvas, on board, and on panel. Our light currently ranges
from 10-25 foot candles which varies from piece to piece. I don't
understand the reason for the variety of light intensities.

Is there a difference between lighting an oil on canvas verses an oil on
board, etc? As of yet we don't have a UV meter but hope to get approval to
purchase one by next month. Could anyone advise us what would be a safe
foot candle range for oils? We have had the policy of lighting our works on
paper (watercolors, prints, and photographs) within the range of 5-8 foot
candles and only exhibiting them for a maximum of 5 months - but have had
no policy for oils.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Holly Chase
Assistant Registrar
#120 Museum of Art, Brigham Young University
North Campus Drive
Provo, Utah   84602-1400
USA
   Phone: (801) 378-8248