From:
"Creel, Wesley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:12:25 -0500
Good Afternoon Julie,
We do exhibition projections by collecting actual attendance figures for
the previous 5 years (historical data) -- for the same days and months
of the proposed exhibition.  We throw out the year with the highest
attendance and also throw out the year with the lowest attendance....and
then we average the attendance figures for the three remaining years.
We have about 75,000 s.f. of exhibitions, including about 6,000 s.f. of
temporary exhibition space.  We have 3 temporary exhibits a year. The
temporary/traveling exhibits at the Pink Palace Museum focus on natural
and cultural history, and the physical sciences.  I have done studies
comparing subject matter of the exhibit to attendance....and the time of
year (season), etc..etc.......my findings are that there is more
serendipity than science in projecting attendance.  If I ever got to be
good at predicting what the public likes to see, I could quit this gig
and get a job as a Program Director for a major studio or television
network, making big bucks!
I hope this information helps.....
Best Wishes,
Wesley
P.S. we use this projection technique for our IMAX theater, planetarium,
nature center, historical properties, and other programs and
facilities....it is close enough for projecting attendance and revenue
for budgetary purposes, but, I would like to hear of a better way of
predicting....

Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums