From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:27:08 -0700
I would be reticent to provide disabled discounts and
definitely would not allow aides in for free.

Some might think that strange coming from me, but the
bias that is presumed by getting that discount is that
disabled can't work and therefore should be able to
access the facility at a much reduced rate.

There are countless PWD (People with Disabilities) who
are fully employed and quite capable of paying their
own way.  One of the the things we who have lobbied
for the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) want is
equal access/equal opportunity.  You are providing
access, and the patrons should have the equal
opportunity to pay the same rate.

The problem with saying that PWD get a discount is
that it brings with it bias as to what constitutes a
PWD.  Do you base that classification on a perceptible
disability (as in one who uses an assistive device)?
How do you differentiate between a person who uses a
wheelchair and one who has bipolar disease?  Both are
PWD?

It becomes a sticky wicket.

By the same token, as a card carrying AARP member
(hey, if Mick Jagger joined at 50, so could I), I'm
not convinced a senior discount is completely a good
thing.  It assumes a bias that a senior is
impoverished or has a much reduced income.  That's not
always the case either.  With the economy as it has
been of recent past, many seniors are working and many
of us will have to work well into our rocking chair
days.

Again, it's an equal opportunity thing that drives
that suggestion.  I realize some will not agree, but I
think in terms of what fare is really fair?

--- Claudia Oakes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Sorry, I accidentally hit send before typing the
> question.
>
> My institution, the Cradle of Aviation Museum, in
> Garden City on Long
> Island, currently offers a discount to
> non-ambulatory visitors.  We
> offer the same discount to personal care aides who
> accompany those
> visitors.  We have recently been asked by a
> physically challenged
> individual to change our policy to admit aides for
> free. I have checked
> with several other institutions, and from their
> comments and my own
> experience, no one I've heard from offers free
> admission to aides.  Some
> offer no discounts.
>
> The gentleman is persistent and has returned passes
> we sent for his and
> his aide's use, adamantly demanding that we change
> our policy.  I would
> appreciate knowing how other institutions handle
> admission charges for
> non-ambulatory visitors and their aides.  I have
> checked with AAM's
> Information Center, and they know of no standards or
> best practices.
> Thank you.
>

> Claudia Oakes
> Chief Operating Officer
> Cradle of Aviation Museum
> 516-572-0554

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414