From:
Curator Fort Morgan Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:22:27 -0600
How much is it a factor? I don't know- but is it part of my job? Yes.  Was
it when I hired on? No.  Will it be part of my successors? Probably.  You
need to remember that in smaller museums the world isn't so
compartmentalized as it is in larger institutions- here we all jump in and
do what needs to be done.  We have a total staff of three.  I am the curator
(according to my business cards) but am actually everything that isn't the
director or the educator- as a result I handle the PR end of the world also.
This is because most of the PR is exhibits related and since I'm the one
with the most knowledge of the exhibits...  This was also the logic for
making me the one in charge of the website.  Since I don't have time to
become proficient in code I rely on a basic understanding of HTML and
MicroSoft FrontPage- I would love to be able to truly update and change the
site but that's not in the cards, or my current skill level so we work with
what we have.

It is one of those wonderful skills that can mean the difference to a
smaller institution when deciding on hiring.  Many small museums might have
never thought of having such a thing as their own website, but finding
someone who is hirable for another position and can also maintain a basic
site...  Talk about a find.

Nikkie Cooper, Curator
Fort Morgan Museum

P.O. Box 184