From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:44:35 -0500
Why do I feel that many of you participating in this discussion are trying
to generalize museum management and say that either museum people or
business people are best.  You can never do that because you can always find
good and bad examples of both types of administrations.  The best
administrators are those who are the best because they are GOOD at
understanding and leading their institution which includes all aspects of
the museum profession, maintaining a sound business plan, and dealing with
personal.  You are never going to find the perfect equation to get a good
leader by only selecting one part.

I do feel however that many of our institutions DO need more people with
business backgrounds in them because many institutions still feel they do
not have to profit or be financially sound the way the business sector does.
Too many museum professionals out there still feel that if you are a
non-profit that you don't have the right to make money which is not correct.
Non-profit refers to what happens to the money it makes not to whether or
not it makes any.

As for effects of Sept 11 on the Shedd, how can any of us know?  Are we
there?  It may seem all right out there in the USA but marketing researchers
are telling us its not.  Many people ARE still fearful and no spending.
What may be happening in some other area of the country is not necessarily
what is happening in Chicago at the Shedd.  All I got from their statement
was that the decline after the Sept 11 tragedy was the straw that broke the
camels back.  When I read about the Shedd I was saddened by the loss of
employment for those who lost jobs, but very glad to see that the animal
caretakers where not being effected.  They have a real issue, many of us who
have non-living collections could walk away for a short time without the any
long term harm to the objects, but living collections like those at the
Shedd require feeding and care.

These are just my two cents
Tracie Evans
Cassville, WI