From:
Shirley S Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:29:05 -0400
Hi Tiffany,

I have glass lantern slides stored in metal 3x5 or 4x5 card filing
cabinets.   The only problem I've had with this kind of storage is the
weight of individual drawers....not that we moved them around that much
by the drawer.   But, even when we need to refer to them for research
purposes, the weight of those slides stored so closely makes it somewhat
dangerous to move many of them at once (causing breakage to the brittle
glass).   I think David's idea is a better one because it puts fewer
slides at risk simultaneously.

Nine thousand slides is a lot!  Rather than using archival cardboard
boxes, what about looking for some metal boxes that would fit on
shelves.    Try Merriam Manurfacturing Co., Inc. (www.merriammfg.com) or
Bull Metal Products, Inc.     You might try a search of the Thomas
Register for "metal boxes".

Shirley Albright
New Jersey State Museum