From:
Carol Riggles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:12:02 -0500
Apparently Stephen and Suzanne have forgotten that the classroom is no
longer a one-way path of information.  The dialogue inspired by such "hotly
debated" topics (I submit as evidence the Museum-L listserv) resulted in
questions by students relating to the Bible and its claim that man has only
existed for 6,000 years (more or less.)  The professor did not introduce the
Bible as part of his lecture on evolution, and merely added his "two-cents
worth" after being asked.

As for the mathematical probability of life beginning on its own - well, I
believe mathematics is still considered a relatively useful tool in the
sciences, therefore no (unacceptable) confluence occurred.

Carol

PS - By the way, the professor was Muslim.