From:
Thomas Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 14:36:16 -0600
The legislature has (finally!) opened a new position at our museum. Please
contact the personnel department directly for information, forms, etc.

The following are excerpts from the official announcement. All typos are my
very own.

The State of Nevada announces an open competition (i.e: job opening) for a
Curator of Education

Approximate annual salary $30,250 to $40,932    Pay Grade 33

Recruitment open to all qualified persons for a permanent, full-time
vacancy located at the Department of Museum, Library, & Arts, Nevada State
Museum and Historical Society, Las Vegas, Nevada.

The Position:  "Under limited supervision, develops, implements and
evaluates educational programs for adults, children and family which
support the museum's mission. The curator works with other museum staff or
consultants to develop educational programs in
Anthropology,Biology,History, Geology, and Paleontology, as well as
developing collaborative programs (projects) with the school district,
other agencies, and the private sector. The curator assists in preparing
grant proposals, exhibits, docent training and special events. The curator
contributes to the policy development and short and long range planning of
the museum,as well as creating budgets and working within strict
timetables; and takes leadership and support roles as part of a team.

To Qualify: The minimum qualifications for this position require a
bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major
course work in history, prehistory, natural history, museology, or closely
related field plus two years of related work experience in a museum
setting; OR one year of related work experience at the Curator I level in
Nevada State service; OR an equivalent combination of education and
experience above the high school level in which the applicant has
demonstrated possession of the entry level knowledge, skills, and
abilities.

The Examination: If there are five or fewer qualified applicants (hah!),
the exam will consist of an application evaluation. Qualified applicants
will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview.

If there are more than five qualified applicants, the exam will consist of
a rating of training and experience weighted 100% The results of this
recruitment may then be used to fill subsequent vacancies. Areas of special
attention are: Knowledge and experience in: current museum education
theory; object-based learning in a non classroom environment; general
museum operation and management practices and standards; traditional
classroom learning theory for K-12; audience development for culturally
diverse groups from children through adults; writing and speaking clearly
and concisely to set goals, priorities and plans for innovative programs
and to work in a team management approach; effective and diplomatic
interaction with students and adults with diverse cultural backgrounds;
supervision and training of volunteers; computer literacy, including
desktop publishing. Your score will be based on the information provided in
your application. Applicants may be required to complete a supplemental
questionnaire regarding education and experience. If a supplemental
questionnaire is required, scoring will be based on both documents.

Applicant must fill out a state form job application which may be obtained
at the  address below. There is some more info on the official posting, so
be sure to ask for a copy (I'm sure they'll send it to you "automatically,"
but you never know...).

No e-mail available for State personnel, as far as I know. (Please don't
flood my box! The Museum doesn't have an internet connection yet, either,
but it's in the works!)

For application forms, info, inquiries, etc., contact:

Lenora Kizer
Department of Personnel
555 E. Washington, Suite 1400
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: (702) 486-2912
(TDD for the Hearing Impaired: 1-800-326-6888)

I hope we get some good response through this list.

Thomas Dyer
Exhibits Director
Nevada State Museum & Historical Society
700 Twin Lakes Drive, Las Vegas NV 89107
702-486-5205