From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:53:35 -0500
	In all discussion of evolution (natural selection working on
genetic variability in populations) there is an elephant in the room
that cannot be ignored-peoples cultural and religious believes
especially about descent of humans. We do create models of the
natural world an strive to reconcile our observations to the models
and adjust the models to conform to our continued observations of the
natural world. This implies that we are continuously testing and
adjusting the models (doing science). However, non-scientists bring a
lot with them which tends to color their understanding of science.
Scientific theories (evolution, relativity, atomic structure of the
atom, eg) seem to be especially troublesome.  In the case of
evolution it is religion, especially when discussion involves human
evolution from a common ancestor. No one who questions evolution of
man questions (that I know of) using an elevator or the use of clocks
and calendars to schedule our lives or use of medicines (all of which
are based upon our use of models of the world (not facts) of the
theories of relativity, atomic structure and gravity).

	People make meaning of the  world around them based on
culture and we cannot ignore that in discussions of  understanding of
science. That said I am not sure how to bridge the gap except to say
that to ignore the elephant in the room (culture and religion) maybe
to ignore a lot of people who need (and perhaps want) to be in on the
discussion.

In today's NY Times' Science Section there is an article about
teaching of evolution in schools. And the news is not very good. See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/01/science/01evo.html?hp&ex=1107320400&en=143526089b4b8af2&ei=5094&partner=homepage
(registration required but no cost.

Martin

--