From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:52:46 -0700
Lisa,

Last year we had to conserve / restore a fan that had been previously
mounted in a shadow box via brads that had been pushed throught the
hand painted paper backing. the box was dropped and the fan broke
loose - the pins tore through the painter paper and the ivory sticks
were smashed into a zillion little pieces - it took most of a summer
to piece, mend, and remount this fan from a private client.

So, don't use pins!!!

There are so good online resources for mounting fans (I beleive that
there may even be a conservo-gram on them).

What we ended up doing was getting blue board, laying the fan out, and
attaching small ethafoam blocks with hot glue to the board to block
the fan in place.  We also marked out attachment holes for
monofillament, then covered the board with an inert polyester velvet.
Then tied the monofillament onto the sticks and then through the
fabric / blue board and tied it off on the back side. Once we were
positive that everything was stable we rehoused it within the orginal
shadow box and it was done.

An even better idea is not to mount a fan vertically (gravity
eventually wins!) and to do a horizontal display on top of a raked
archival board.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey