From:
rich jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 21:32:00 PST
Kit:  In a previous post, I discussed the privatization of two museums in
Redding California.  In addition to privatization, Carter House Natural
Science Museum, the Redding Museum of Art & History and The Forest Museum at
Turtle Bay are part of an alliance which was formed to advance a project
called Turtle Bay Park & Museum.  These three 501(c)(3) organizations are
exploring ways in which they can come together as a "community partnership."
 Merger right now is a difficult word to deal with.  At some point in the
future, Turtle Bay may become the successor organization for one or more of
the existing 501(c)(3)'s.  As of today, and for the forseeable future,
"community partnership" and "university-like setting" are the descriptive
phrases being used to describe the evolving and ever-changing relationships
of 4 boards and staffs.  To make matters even more challenging, the
governing board for Carter House also governs the Redding Arboretum by the
River.  This is a totally privatized operation and although it is right
across the Sacramento River from Turtle Bay, it is not a part of the
alliance try to bring the new park and museum complex into being.

>As a follow-up to Paisley Cato's request, I am also looking for information on
>successful and not successful public-private hybrids as well as true mergers
>between institutions.
>
>Any information and contacts at institutions that have actually
>gone through this process of merging (successfully or not) would be
>appreciated.  Particularly involving natural history museums, science
>centers, or children's museums.  Thanks!
>
>Kit Matthew

Rich Jones                              Governing Board For:
Development Director                    Carter House Natural Science Museum
Shasta Natural Science Association      Redding Arboretum By The River
[log in to unmask]              SNSA Environmental Resources Center