From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:16:36 -0600

James,

Certainly possible. I believe most things are possible on some level, but

then I tend to think positively on that score. As to likely, I think that

is a little too subjective a term for this situation. My problem with the

notion is that it is presented as fact in the popular culture myth mill,

without even the tiniest shred of proof. No attempt is being made to

disprove the quilt code idea, since there is no evidence available to

contradict.

As a historical topic, there may yet be some secret diary written by a

literate slave somewhere who sets out the secret of her quilts for us.

Seems a little unlikely, but then they changed what happened at the Alamo

after more than a hundred years. Who knew?

As a sociological and psychological phenomenon in our modern day culture,

expressing a continued need to place meaning and vital resistance qualities

into the repressed lives of African slaves, it is absolutely fascinating.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             james schulte

             <jschultesr@VERIZ

             ON.NET>                                                    To

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Re: Codes in slave quilts

             11/16/2005 04:53

             PM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Yes we had a lively thread on this topic. I don’t recall the fact quilts

may

or may not have been used as disproved. Most involved were either on one

side or the other. My suggestion to end the debate lets get all involved in

a big room, pull out a Ouija board, and summons William still, Thomas

Garret, Levi Coffin and of course Ms "Moses". So when can we meet? I for

one

believe it was possible and likely.