From:
Kristy Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:51:29 -0500
Very true, and as some may have missed....Most state tests are not generated
in that state, remember the Iowa Basics?  The tests are generic enough to
give to several states, hence making more money for the test providers.  So,
even if the teachers do tend to teach the test and therefore not teach
evolution and basic science, more than likely, students will still be tested
on it.  Not to mention in life outside of KS.

There is supposedly a big push now for teaching children problem solving and
analysis skills.  The idea is to give them the facts, the scenario and let
them come up with a solution or more questions to research before making
final conclusions.  If we remove and alter the facts how can we expect them
to ask the right questions and form the right answers?  We are handicapping
children in a place that is supposed to be safe to learn.

Calling this a mere "media slanting" is, in my opinion, very short sighted.
As some have mentioned where will this lead next???

What Kansas has done is appalling on many, many levels.

Kristy Miller
Former Secondary Teacher
and current KU grad student

--
Kristy Miller

----------
>From: Bridget Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Newsgroups: bit.listserv.museum-l
>Subject: Re: Kansas evolution controversy
>Date: Mon, Sep 6, 1999, 3:12 PM
>

> The Pratt, KS school board has already adopted a "creationist" text for
> biology this year...that is my concern...if individual communities and
> conservatively driven boards can now make their own decisions there will be
> no standard to teaching and how will those students cope when the hit the
> "real world" of education outside of Kansas??
> Bridget Jones
> Bonham, TX

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain
> detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line
> e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).