From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:21:47 -0500
I don't have any specific data on this subject, but I am a big supporter
for the inclusion of children in visiting museums.  I feel that themes,
programs, exhibits, and the overall learning experience of museums
should take into account young children.  My son is almost four years
old and visually impaired to some extent.  He is getting to an age where
children's programs and exhibits will interest him if they also cater to
a younger age group.  Why shouldn't young children be included?  They
definitely should.  I think it is a great idea.  I also feel that young
children with special needs should be considered when a museum is
developing themes, exhibits and programs.  My son is not, by far, the
one of few children with special needs.  I challenge museums to rise to
this task.  Believe me, when I show up at a museum, or call, I always
inquire what types of programs and exhibits they have that my son would
enjoy and learn from.  I am a regular museum visitor and a museum
professional.  I want my boy to gain a healthy interest and respect for
museums.  Many museums do have interesting activities and learning
experiences for children, but it is a shame when the only thing a museum
can offer my son (or any young child)is the opportunity to push elevator
buttons- and he enjoys this activity more than I care to admit!

Thanks,

Arlyn Danielson