From:
David Haberstich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 17:40:14 EDT
 Anita, I agree with Erik. There is no better word for a library (in
English) than "library." Please, oh please don't invent another stupid,
ambiguous, lengthy euphemism. There is certainly nothing stand-offish
about an incredibly neutral word like "library." Nearly every town in
the country has one, and most people have a personal library as well.
Basically, all it means is "a collection of books." Big deal. I don't
think you'll find a better existing word, and inventing one would be a
total waste of time and would only add confusion to discourse (I
recognize that there are plenty of people out there whose goal in life
is to create confusion, ambiguity, and complexity), but I advocate
keeping things simple and relatively stable when possible. Oh, all
right, if you insist, here's my suggestion: "Building Full of Books,
Magazines, Newspapers, Etc., Etc."
     Good grief.
     --David Haberstich