From:
Orrie Crews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 22:33:35 -0500
Mary,

Your response to Scott's question seems rather cynical.  We're not
labeling children but children are not adults.  If children are to feel
important then they must feel recognized and respected.  Surely you
don't expect  adults and children to communicate on the same level.  So
why then should museums communicate to both children and adults on one
level.  How would we do so if we even could?

I am in favor of kid-friendly labeling because information presented on
the child's level develops a child's self-esteem and awareness.
Children need that sense of independence.  Parent and children can spend
time together reading labels, and that's good.  But children, like you
and I, like to acknowledge.  And what can be wrong with creating labels
that meant just for young learners.

You see Mary, it's not about labeling; it's about esteem building in
children.  Why shouldn't museum be a part of that in any way we can.

Sincerely,
Orrie Crews, Asst. Curator of Education
The Natural Science Center of Greensboro
Neighborhood Nature Museum

[Image]